The Paleontological Society invites applications from student members for a limited number of $800 grants to support research in any field or aspect of paleontology. The top three proposals receive Mid-American Paleontology Society (MAPS) Outstanding Research Awards.
Deadline: 11:59 pm Pacific Time on February 11, 2017
Who may apply?
- Undergraduate and graduate student members of the Paleontological Society conducting research on any aspect of paleontology.
- The program is not limited to U.S. students.
How to Apply:
- All applications must be submitted electronically by completing and submitting the form below. An email message of confirmation will be sent to all applicants.
- Attach a two page proposal (PDF or Microsoft Word document) to the form below.
- Project Description (1st page) and Budget and References (2nd page).
- Please use a 12-point font and 1 inch margins.
- A letter of support should be sent via e-mail to Katherine Marenco (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly by advisor or other recommender by the award deadline. Please include the applicant’s first and last name in the subject and body of the e-mail message.
- The applicant must be a member of the Paleontological Society at the time of submission of the grant application. Their seven-digit member ID must be included using the form below. You can join the Paleontological Society here.
Following Project Completion:
- Awardees must submit a short summary of their project and photo upon completion. News releases and press clippings would also be appropriate.
- The applicant is responsible for following university or federal guidelines and laws concerning the use of radioisotopes, radiation, human subjects, vertebrate animals, etc. The applicant must ensure that the proposed project is logistically feasible (e.g., verify outcrop access) before submitting the proposal. The applicant is also responsible for obtaining any permits that may be necessary for field collecting.
The Paleontological Society Student Research Grant Application Form
By submitting this application, the applicant certifies that he/she is a member in good standing of the Paleontological Society and that the funds applied for, if granted, will be applied to research in paleontology.
Important Note: An e-mail confirmation of the receipt of your completed application will be sent to you immediately following submission of this form. If you do not hear from us in a follow-up email with-in two days following the submission deadline, please contact Katherine Marenco (email@example.com).