The Paleontological Society seeks to support undergraduate students interested in a career in paleontology who plan on attending the national Geological Society of America meeting.
A limited number of grants are available to offset travel costs: $1,000 if the student is presenting original research at GSA and $500 if the student is just attending the meeting.
In addition to travel support, students will participate in mentoring opportunities with professional paleontologists and graduate students while at the meeting and receive a free 1‐year student membership to the Paleontological Society.
In exchange, PS‐SAP students will be expected to volunteer at the PS booth for at least 5 hours during the meeting, and to use social media (e.g., blogs, Facebook, Twitter) to communicate to the Society about their experience at the meeting. In this way, students will serve as “ambassadors” for the Society.
To be eligible, students must be enrolled as an undergraduate student at an institution of higher education, have a stated interest in learning more about careers in paleontology, and be willing to use social media to promote PS activities at the conference. Student with diverse backgrounds (including race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, neurodiversity, accessibility, first-generation college, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
The program is not limited to U. S. students.
1. Please complete the application below and upload the following documents where indicated
- Proof of undergraduate student status (e.g., photocopy of current student ID, official class schedule, or transcript)
- A copy of the research abstract you plan to submit to GSA (if applicable)
2. Please have a faculty member at your undergraduate institution email a letter of support directly to email@example.com.
- Subject line should include your last name
- Letter should discuss your involvement in paleontology and scientific career potential
- Letter should not exceed 2000 characters
3. All documents must be received by August 10th. The PS Education and Outreach Committee will evaluate applications. Awardees will be notified by September 1st.