The Paleontological Society Position Statement: Evolution
Evolution is both a scientific fact and a scientific theory. More information.
Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America
October 19-22, 2014. Vancouver, BC, Canada
2014 Annual Reports from the PS are here!
Over the past year, the Council of the Paleontological Society has voted in favor of:
• ratifying the September 16, 2013, “Consensus Statement on Ethics in the Geosciences” signed by President Carlson and Secretary Wilson in Washington, DC.
• signing the November 2013 “Message to the Texas State Board of Education” from the National Center for Science Education regarding school textbook adoptions.
• authorizing President Carlson to sign the December 19, 2013, Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF) letter to Congressman Lamar Smith.
• endorsing the 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure and joining the list of its institutional supporters.
• President Carlson's letter to the US Forest Service regarding the Paleontological Resources Preservation Act (PRPA).
Past issues: Summer 2014, Winter 2014, Winter 2013, Summer 2012, Winter 2012, Spring 2011, Summer 2008, Special Edition 2007, Spring 2007, 2006, Fall 2005, Fall 2004, Winter 2004, Spring 2003, Spring 2002, Fall 2002, 2001
• Congratulations to the 2014 PS-AJBoucot Research Grants:
Majid Mirzaie Ataabadi (University of Zanjan)
Adiël A. Klompmaker (Florida Museum of Natural History)
Amelinda Webb (University of Alberta)
Michael Meyer (Bucknell University)
• PS short course Reading and Writing of the Fossil Record: Preservational Pathways to Exceptional Fossilization on Saturday October 18. See the program here.
• Heading to GSA? PRI wants your stories! We are developing a traveling exhibit about the history of women in American paleontology and will be at the annual meeting to tape interviews with you. Stay tuned for details.
• Congratulations to the 2014 Paleontological Society Award winners:
Strimple Award: Héctor Gerardo Porras Múzquiz
Schuchert Award: Shanan Peters (University of Wisconsin)
Paleontological Society Medal: Erle Kauffman (Indiana University)
• Paleontological Society enters partnership with Cambridge University Press to publish the Journal of Paleontology and Paleobiology beginning January 1, 2015.
• Apply for the AWG Takken Travel Grant, a competitive award that provides women geoscience students with support to present their research at a national or international professional geoscience meeting other than GSA. February 10 deadline.
• The FOSSIL Project aims to enhance communication between fossil club members and professional paleontologists, provide opportunities for training and development, enable attendance at conferences and workshops, encourage digitization of fossil collections and foster participation in K-12 outreach. More information
• FIND A JOB: Go to the PaleoNet Jobs Page
- Online access to the Journal of Paleontology and Paleobiology
- Treatise Online—complete chapters of upcoming volumes of the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology
- Substantial discounts on hard copy volumes of the Treatise and other paleontology books
- Member-only discounts on registration fees for annual and regional meetings of the Geological Society of America
- Research grant opportunities for students
Donít delay! Enjoy the benefits of Paleontological Society Membership. JOIN now!
Already a Paleontological Society Member?
RENEW your membership now for 2015 and continue to enjoy the Societyís benefits.
Your voluntary contributions help substantially to advance the science of paleontology, to expand our knowledge of lost worlds! Your donations to The Paleontological Society can be mailed to the Secretary (Mark A. Wilson, Department of Geology, The College of Wooster, Wooster, OH 44691). Thanks so much for your support! It is greatly appreciated.